PART 1: CREATION AND PURPOSE
The Athletics Council was created to serve in an advisory capacity to the chancellor, the faculty athletics representative, and to the director of athletics.
PART 2: COMPOSITION AND APPOINTMENT
The Athletics Council is composed of eleven voting members and two or more position appointments who shall serve on the council as ex officio, non-voting members. The voting membership is comprised of the following:
- Six faculty members appointed by the dean from each undergraduate college at NMSU-Las Cruces, and not to serve more than two consecutive three-year terms;
- Two students from ASNMSU, not to serve more than two consecutive one-year terms;
- One staff member from the Employee Council; not to serve more than two consecutive two-year terms;
- The faculty athletics representative to the NCAA and the Conference (See ARP 17.25); and
- One Faculty Senate representative, not to serve more than two three-year terms.The ex officio membership is comprised of the director of athletics, the senior woman administrator and such other position appointments as may be designated by the director of athletics, with the concurrence of the chancellor.
PART 3: PURPOSE
The Athletics Council shall perform the following functions, in addition to those as may be requested by the chancellor or the director of athletics:
- Provide advisory guidance relative to the rules, regulations and administration of intercollegiate athletics;
- Formulate and present to the Faculty Senate for its consideration recommendations regarding policies and programs as the Athletics Council deems appropriate;
- Submit an annual report of its activities to the Office of the Chancellor, for posting on the university website (nmsu.edu) consistent with RPM 2.30; and
- Provide advisory guidance relative to gender equity and Title IX compliance.