University employees should always be mindful of the resources entrusted to them by the public, government entities, and private donors, including the public’s perception of how the university conducts its business. Employees should strive to conduct themselves consistent with the highest ethical principles, to avoid any action that may be viewed as a violation of the public trust in the use of these resources, and to act responsibly in order to preserve and/or safeguard university resources. These resources include, but are not limited to, employee’s time, facilities, supplies, and equipment, such as telephones, fax machines, and computers. Employees do not have a right or expectation to privacy as it relates to information or data contained on or accessed through university equipment or resources.
The application of the following guidelines for non-work related use will depend upon the particular circumstances surrounding each such use, including factors such as the nature of the use, reasonableness, cost, time, employee needs and work habits etc. Employees should consult with their supervisors in advance if they have any questions about appropriateness of certain practices.
PART 1: GUIDELINES
The use of the university’s resources and services for non-work related purposes is permitted only in compliance with the following criteria:
- The cost to the university is negligible.
- The use does not interfere with an employee’s obligation to carry out university duties in a timely and effective manner. Time spent engaged in the non-work related use of university resources is not considered to be university work time.
- The use does not undermine the use of university resources and services for official purposes, nor violate any university policy, rule or procedure, nor violate state or federal law.
- The use neither expresses nor implies sponsorship or endorsement by the university.
- The use does not involve the viewing, displaying, downloading, printing, procuring, or transmitting of sexually explicit material or any other material that would violate university policies or rules/procedures, or the law, including but not limited to, those relating to sexual harassment, fraud, hostile workplace, obscenity, libel, defamation, or hate/violent misconduct.
- Users should be aware that internal or external audit or other needs may require examination of uses of university resources or services and should not expect such uses to be free from inspection.
- University resources shall not be used in conduct of business or marketing or political activities for non-work related purposes in an inappropriate manner or in violation of NMSU policy or rules/procedures.
- The NMSU internal mail delivery system shall not be used to deliver non-work related material. University accounts shall not be charged for mailing personal and non-university business material.
- NMSU vehicles shall not be used for personal or non-university business purposes. See also ARP 12.66 – Vehicle Assignments; ARP 12.65 – Fleet Asset Management Program; and the Vehicle Use Procedures.