4.02 – Student Admission and Residency Processes in Relation to Immigration Status

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Scope: NMSU System

Source: ARP Chapter 4 | Curriculum and Course Management

Responsible Executive: Provost & Chief Academic Officer

Responsible Administrator: ,

Last Updated: 09/08/2006



Revision History:

2017 Recompilation, formerly Rule 6.87
09/08/2006 Policy adoption approved by Board of Regents
09/13/2005 Policy adoption approved by Administrative Council

The rules and regulations for establishing student residency for tuition purposes are defined by the New Mexico Higher Education Department which is authorized by the Constitution of the State of New Mexico and state statutes.

  1. All international students entering the United States on a non-immigrant student visa will apply for admission through the Office of International Admissions Program located in Garcia Annex. Consult the Undergraduate Catalog section on Foreign Students for specific restrictions and procedures (NMSU Undergraduate Catalog).
    1. Any non-citizen entering an institution of higher education on a non-immigrant visa (e., student, diplomatic, visitor or visiting scholar), including spouses and dependents, shall be classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes.
  2. All legal immigrants (permanent residents), partially documented, undocumented or refugee students, who have attended a secondary educational institution in New Mexico for at least one year and have either graduated or received a general education development (GED) certificate in New Mexico, will apply for admissions through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions located in the Educational Services Building.
    1. Legal immigrants or refugees must present documentation of their status to the Office of Admissions and University Student Records Office.
    2. Students meeting requirements may be eligible for in-state tuition as determined by the University Student Records Office in accordance with the State of New Mexico Higher Education Department (state.nm.us).
    3. Students eligible for in-state tuition may be eligible for state-funded financial aid.