12.67 – Transportation Services-Rentals

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Scope: NMSU System

Source: ARP Chapter 12 | Physical Asset Management

Rule Administrator:

Last Updated: 07/20/2010



Revision History:

2017 Recompilation, formerly Rule 9.35
07/20/2010 Adoption of amendment approved by Board of Regents
06/08/2010 Amendment approved by Administrative Council
09/08/2006 Amendment ratified by Board of Regents

A. Availability of Rental Vehicles

Rental vehicles are available through the Office of Transportation and Parking Services.  These vehicles are provided for university-related business, and are to be driven only by university employees, students, agents of the university, or volunteers, in the performance of their duties.  All operators shall have in their possession an appropriate, current class license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New Mexico, and an NMSU Driving Permit as issued by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety.


B. Driver/Passenger Qualifications

Authorized drivers are those who have met the requirements as set forth in Section III of the University’s Vehicle Use Procedures.  Passengers are limited to university employees, students participating in authorized trips, and invited guests engaged in university related activities.  Students who are not university employees, that drive a university vehicle, must be affiliated with a university chartered organization and involved in a university-related event.


C. Driver Responsibilities

Responsibility for the safe and appropriate use of state vehicles is delegated by the Office of Transportation and Parking Services to the driver who signs for the vehicle on the rental agreement.  This includes ensuring that any additional drivers are in compliance with Section III of the Vehicle Use Procedures and familiar with the rental policies.


D. Insurance

State employees are covered by workers compensation as drivers or passengers.  It is important to note that all non-employee drivers or passengers, to include “volunteers” have no insurance coverage to include medical payments while in a state owned vehicle.  Persons desiring such coverage need to make appropriate arrangements if their personal insurance policies do not provide it.  All authorized drivers are protected by state liability coverage.


E. Mexico Trips

Any trip into Mexico MUST be fully insured by a Mexican Insurance Company prior to ANY travel across the border, including Juarez.  Mexican insurance must be obtained and a copy presented to Office of Transportation and Parking